Sunday 1 July 2012

Hamsterley Forest marathon 2012

This clashed with the Lakeland Trails marathon that I enjoyed last year, but as Hamsterley was nearer and it was the first time it had been held, I thought I would give it a go. As the date got nearer I remembered that last time I ran through Hamsterley in June the midges had been awful so I was beginning to think I had made a error. As it turned out they weren't a problem for me ay all, but one runner was covered in bites.

Crazy Lady from my club asked if she could run with me. As she is faster than me I didn't think she would stay with me too long, but she stayed until 23m and then sped off. I think I probably ran a bit faster then I would have done on my own

The course started with 2m flat section along road followed by 3 laps of 7.5m ending with the same 2m back to the start/finish. Each lap consisted of 3 climbs uphill to halfway and then a lovely gentle 3.5m gentle downhill section. We walked all the hills and then made good time on the downhills.

The weather was pretty good, there was a bit of wind but on the climbs we were sheltered by the trees and and on the downhills it was behind us :-) Very light drizzle now and then but that helped to keep us cool. Plenty of water stations and marshalls and even a fetchpoint consisting of Jovi Runner and Nrgee - thank you for your encouragement :-)

Another well organised North East Marathon Club event

Very pleased to finish under 5 hours - 4h 51min

No comments:

Post a Comment