Sunday 9 October 2011

Kielder marathon 2011

Well that went much better than I had hoped :-)

Saturday morning I helped out with Durham parkrun handing out tokens. 148 runners, so a good turnout with some students who are now back. Good to see Hamsterboy get a new pb :-)

Then it was off to Cramlington for the Harrier League cross country. Cross country is popular in my club and there is a great atmosphere at these events. There was an excellent turnout with quite a few new members there. The route was great and the conditions underfoot were perfect for me, soft and not too muddy. I took it easy the first couple of laps, but I couln't resist speeding up in the last half of the final lap. I did wonder how this would affect Kielder the next day....

The next day dawned and I got to Kielder early and at the start met up with other clubmates and Fetchies. It was drizzling constantly and the wind was strong so everybody was huddling inside the marquee. For the second year running the race was delayed by fifteen minutes as people struggled to get to the start from the car parks (there were shuttle buses). I don't know what the problem was the arrangements seemed better this year than last year.

My preparation had been five marathons in the previous two and half weeks and the cross country the day before so I had very low expectations of how this would go. I know the course well having completed four marathons there and I knew it was a challenging route. I started at the back and took it easy, but still a bit too fast. Once at the end of the reservoir, 7m, the bigger hills kicked in and we headed back to the dam at the other end of the reservoir. 



There were signs saying how far it was to the dam and it didn't seem that far. However we weren't even half way yet, so I tried not to think it was nearly over. I was walking up most of the uphills and plodding along the rare flat, but I did notice I was running well downhill and overtaking a few. Half way past in 2hr 20min and I was thinking the second half will be slower, we have to cross the dam into the wind and the approach to Bull Crag peninsula will be into the wind as will be the second half of the peninsula, you will slow down, so its looking like over 5hr.

I continued at the same sort of pace until 17m which was shortly before the dam. As I turned onto the dam the wind was nowhere near as bad as I had expected. In front of me were lots of runners walking and I felt very good so I speeded up and I was surprised at how much energy I had. The only thing I think I was doing differently was eating more shot blocks. So my amazement I found I could continue at that pace. I was still walking the steep inclines, but I seemed to fly downhill when everybody around me was hobbling or taking it very easy. I caught and left behind people who had passed me in the first half and continued like that to the end. I have never felt so strong in the last 9m of a marathon before, very strange, I don't really understand it. During those 9m, a little voice sometimes whispered the word 'Abingdon', but that was dismissed and I ran on, this felt too good to resist.

I had a good chat with friends and clubmates at the end. We were also approached by someone from Galloway Harriers who said how much he liked our club website and how well I and dillthedog wrote our race reports. That was unexpected and nice to hear :-)

It has been a great week, the new job is going well and to end it a lovely weekend :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment