Sunday 15 May 2011

Druridge Bay marathon 2011

I didn't sleep very well last night and I was up at 5.30. I think this had a major effect on what happened later.

Stratford didn't go well last weekend and I hadn't had any time to run this week apart from yesterday, but I thought a bit of recovery might help. It didn't appear to change anything.

I was pacing angpp474 on her first marathon at Druridge Bay. It was a complicated course, three big laps and one smaller lap. The big lap include two miles on the beach. I normally like running on sand, but I found it tough today, the wind was in our faces, the hard sand was often on a camber. There was also softer sand at the bottom end and then you had to get across a section of very soft sand to get off the beach. We did 2hr 15min for the first half, but we slowed soon after that, which was fine with me, I was starting to tire. Then at 22m I mentally lost focus and I just wanted to walk/run the rest. I sent angpp474 on (she was very reluctant to go, but did in the end) and I took it easy for the last four miles. angpp474 did great on her first marathon and finished in 4hr42 with me coming in 4min later.

Bomb had a good run coming in under 4hr and it was good to have Banjobox's support as he marshalled. It was also good to see ToonStroller again as we passed each other many times :-)



I do like these North East Marathon Club events, low key and friendly :-)

Hopefully I will be able to pull things round for Windermere on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment