Sunday 22 May 2011

Brathay Windermere marathon 2011

Well tomorrow the clock ticks over and my age category will have moved on :-)

It has been a lovely weekend. I went over to the Lakes for the third weekend running on Friday and on Saturday I went to see the start of Day 9 for the 10 in 10 runners. Some of them looked a bit stiff and there was more tape visible than on Day 2, but they were all still going. Just amazing :-)

I then followed then round the lake with ultrakazz and bumped into various Fetchies and people I knew on the way round :-)

Pictures : https://picasaweb.google.com/105792896882008304219/10In10RunnersDay92011

On Saturday night my two children and my daughter's partner arrived and yesterday it was the Brathay Windermere marathon itself. We got there to find very changeable weather. The forecast was sunshine and showers. The showers were brief but heavy and we had hail in one outbreak. But once we formed up for the briefing, the wether improved and sunny intervals for the rest of the day. I think we were very lucky :-) It was a bit windy, in our faces in the first half and behind us in the second half :-)

I was running with fats from my club. She was worried that she had had only one long run since our WHWadventure with dizzie1981 and I was worried that I had done too much running. Ideally she wanted to get a pb, that is under 4hr30 but we just thought we would see how it goes.

We started fairly quickly 





and all the way down the west side we seemed to be averaging under 9.5min/miles. We knew we should have stuck to 10 min/miles but we didn't seem to be able to do that. One or two other Fetchies who ran with us clearly decided we were going too fast and backed off. Halfway in 2hr 2min. The difficult third quarter was next and Fats' feet were starting to hurt so we walked up most of the longer undulations. Once we got through those we seemed to speed up. We lost a bit for a loo stop, but we were still 6 minutes ahead of 10 min/mile pace at 19m.

I slowed a bit at 20m, then we picked it up to the base of the 21m hill. My children were cheering us on at this point and then we got lots of shouts at Fetchpoint from RooA, Slowboy, YP1 and L :-) And a lovely jaffa cake. I had been taking Kendal Mint cake at most of the water stations and my stomach started to feel a bit bad and as we approached the 23m, I knew I was going to struggle to keep up with fats. We jogged to the water station at 23m and then I finally persuaded her to go on. I knew we would get home in under 4hr30, but she had the chance of a big improvement in her pb. She did that and got 4hr19 and I got home in 4h26, so I was happy with that.



My new Hoka Bondi shoes were lovely, I had only done 6m in them before, but they were lovely and bouncy :-)

Pictures : https://picasaweb.google.com/105792896882008304219/BrathayWindermereMarathon2011?gsessionid=K8PavWYZjFHOhwdY0SZ3wQ

No comments:

Post a Comment