Sunday 11 June 2017

Hardmoors Wainstones marathon 2017

A mainly sunny day, but with quite a strong wind which slowed me down but also kept me cool. 26.79 miles (a bit short for a Hardmoors marathon 😉), just under 4000ft of climb with ten climbs.

Climb 1 - Out of Chop Gate and the hardest climb. It's not all marathons that you do the first mile in about 22 minutes, but at least you get the hardest climb out of the way early on.



Sometimes your attempts at taking pictures of the view don't quite work out...


James had a fantastic run today. Once we reached the top of the hill he flew off and I didn't see him again until the finish.



Once at the top, there is nice flat section with the wind behind us, so that was fun,



Photo by Dave Parker. This was followed by a lovely run down into Scugdale.

Climb 2 Carlton Bank. There is a small down section in this climb, but apart from that it is a long drag upwards, but with some great views



Then there is tricky descent down to Lordstones where we were joined by the half marathon runners. Last year, the half runners around me were about my pace, but not this year, we joined the front runners.

Climb 3 First sister (Cringle Moor) I was being passed by loads of half marathon runners, which was strange, but otherwise it was good.



Climb 4 Second sister (Cold Moor) Still being passed, but pleased to get up and over.

Climb 5 Third sister (Wainstones) I was getting a bit tired by this one. I passed the 10k tail runners. This has the most technical bit, but it is only short


Along the top of Hasty Bank and down to Clay Bank passing some of the 10k runners (which made a change from being passed by crowds of runners).

In the checkpoint I saw Eric who had sadly had to pull out because of injury.

Climb 6 Up to Urra Moor. Plodded up this this conscious that we were now approaching halfway and the worst climbs were behind us. But you always wonder how much you have left.

Once up we go down for a short while along the edge of the escarpment, looking down on the valley below. The strong wind was in our faces so once it levelled out I struggled to run for very long. Then at the next checkpoint where Dave was stationed we parted from the 10K and half runners and turn east towards Round Hill, the highest point on the moors.

Climb 7 Up to Round Hill. If this was at the start I would have run it, but after those last six climbs, there was no chance that would happen.

There were a few puddles on the route, but hardly any mud



This was followed by nice run down to Blowarth Crossing.

Climb 8 Climb up from Blowath Crossing. Again not a steep climb, but the wind was in our faces, so I walked it. Luckily I had some company - I got talking to Martin from Susses who was doing his first Hardmoors event.

Finally we got to the top and had a lovely run down to Bransdale.

Climb 9 Climb out of Bransdale. This is all on tarmac and it gets a bit steep towards the end. Pleased to get it over and there is the final checkpoint (22m) at the top.

We turned onto trail which climbed for a while and then flattened out. It started to rain a little so our waterproofs came out. We started to run and gradually Martin fell behind and I was finding I had still had some energy. I was overtaking quite a few runners and I enjoyed the descent into Tripsdale, but inevitably there was

Climb 10 Climb out of Tripsdale. Long and a slog, but there is they joy that once at the top there is nothing but downhill to the finish.

And that descent was lovely. Into the Village Hall and received my medal and tee shirt



6hr 36 min and I was very happy with that especially the last 4m when I usually have nothing left. No age category win this year - I have won my age category the other times I have done this event, but there must have been a speedier runners this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment