Saturday 18 June 2016

Durham Dales Challenge 30m 2016

I like this event, it is very low key. The food at the checkpoints is probably the best ones of any local event. I can't understand why it isn't as popular as the Swaledale 'marathon', which fills very quickly. The Durham Dales usually has places available on the day, but this year it was full for the first time that I can remember. The start and finish were also a bit different this year and there were were three other small variations to the route.

I parked in the Demesne Mill Picnic Area where there were ducks waiting to be fed


and walked across the field towards the Parish Church to register in the hall behind. They use to use the secondary school which had lots of parking, but this year we were parking in various place around Wolsingham.

Last year I was recovering from injury so I did the 16m route, but this year I was down to do the 30m route which I haven't done since 2013.

I started possibly a little too quickly, although that sounds like I sped off, but it was more of a small increase to my normal speed (slow) on these events. I had had a cold for most of the previous week and I should have preserved what energy I had.

We climbed up to escarpment but instead of using the road we went along the Weardale Way, which was much more pleasant. There were some nice views down the valley as we climbed upwards.



Soon after we reached the top the two routes went their separate ways. I soon caught up the Quakers team that I often see on these events and we ran together over the moors, crossing streams




and through Hamsterley Forest. The first manned checkpoint was there and there was a good selection of savory and sweet food to choose from. The flies were a bit of a nuisance in the forest, but once out on the moors again, they dispersed.



I had left the Quaker Team behind as one of them had an injury which was slowing them down.



 We came down into the valley of River Tees.




 and the route followed the river for a a while


before heading away and through some lovely buttercup meadows






The Middleton-in-Teesdale checkpoint was amazing as ever, the food was just incredible. It started to rain slightly as I went through the town, but it wasn't heavy at this point. There is two mile or so road section here, which then goes through an old quarry and into old mining areas. There is quite a bit of ascent and descent in the route, but nothing too serious.



I reached the second last checkpoint and stocked up on more wonderful food - quiche, cake and flapjack.



At this point I was aware that my hamstring felt a bit sore. I have a leg of the club charity relay next week and the 40m Lyke Wake Challenge a week after that, so I thought I should be sensible and walk the remaining 8 miles or so - I didn't want to make it worse. I was also feeling that I was very low on energy, so walking seemed to be the best thing to do.

The weather got a little worse with heavy showers coming in, but nothing too bad. I came across some 16m walkers who were unsure of the way and hopefully guided them in the right direction.

As usual there was a meal at the finish - vegetable casserole or vegetable curry followed by sweet. If I can make the event next year I will be coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment