Sunday 24 August 2014

Northumberland Coast marathon 2014

This is a special race. It is out and back from Alnmouth along the Northumberland coast until the route does small loop south of Beadnell and returns the same way. It keeps to the coastal path and there is very little road, probably about a quarter of a mile. A lot of the route is on beach.

It is not the same route as the Northumberland Coast Run (14m) which goes from Beadnell to Alnmouth as the road sections have been taken out of that route.

The weather conditions were perfect, cool at the start, but hardly any wind. It warmed up when the sun came out later, but it felt fine, nothing like some of very hot races we did in July.

I love running alongside the sea and seeing the beautiful beaches, the sea breaking on rocks, the attractive dunes and the attractive castles.

I ran fine in the first half, but I struggled in the second half. I haven't done a marathon for four weeks and I have only done short runs in that time. So no surprise there, poor training, poor run. But the views when walking were sensational and I got round and that is the most important thing. Also I only had calf twinge which went away, so that is the first time for a long time that I haven't had a major calf issue in a race !

Nice food and a drink in the pub with MelanieLH and two other clubmates afterwards. They all had a better run than me, but none of us had a great run.

So all things considered, it was a lovely day out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment