Sunday 13 March 2011

Bedford Clanger 2011

I wanted to do this one last year, but for some reason I couldn't make it. I made sure I could do it this year and I am very pleased I did. There were lots of people from fetcheveryone.com and folk from the Quadzilla there and it was good to catch up
The course was unmarked and there were no marshalls except at checkpoints. I had the route instructions with me, but I had also downloaded the route to my Garmin. I had never done this before and wasn't sure how it would work. It was pretty good, I didn't have to faff around putting reading glasses on and off, I could just glance at my watch and see the turns approaching. The only place I struggled was when there was a path on one side of hedge and a path or road on the other side - it was difficult to decide which side of the hedge I should be.
There were lots and lots of turns. After most races I can rerun the route in my head, but I don't think I could do it with this one, there so many turns and different terrain and scenery - roads, enclosed paths in woods, enclosed paths in housing estates, fields, it was just lovely Especially for me, having run along a canal last weekend, this was like a lovely breath of fresh air
What would also make it more difficult to rerun the route in my mind is that I spent the first 16m chatting to two Fetchies and that was great They sent me on at 16m and I felt reasonably strong. Towards the end I could see I was close to getting under 5hr so I speeded up in the last half mile and I was pleased I was able to do that. 4hr 56min 31sec
This was a lovely event and the organisers did a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment