Saturday 3 July 2010

Osmotherley Phoenix 33m 2010

Last year I was uncertain whether I would do this run again as I found it very tough and the warm weather made it harder. However, memories fade and when it came round to entering this one again, I could not resist it. The scenery and the views are great, the checkpoints are well stocked with food and drinks and there is a good friendly atmosphere.
The route follows the Cleveland Way out of Osmotherley, past Lords Cafe, but then avoids the three following hills which include the Wainstones, before returning to the Cleveland Way and the climb out of Clay Bank. Then after the trig point, its down to Chop Gate and a very tough climb out of there towards Wheat Beck. After some more lovely countryside, its a long climb back onto the moors and onto the Cleveland Way again, but this time south of Osmotherley and you follow the Cleveland Way back to Osmotherley.
Last year I got injured and walked quite a bit of the last ten miles. This year I had no injury problems and managed to improve my time by 30 minutes to 7hr 40min, but I can't imagine me doing doing this event much faster that that.

No comments:

Post a Comment