Monday 16 May 2016

Howgills Trail marathon 2016

I last did this race with Melanie in 2013




It was tough, especially the first 5.5m climbing up from Sedburgh to the Calf. Sadly, Melanie wasn't able to run the half marathon as originally planned because of her injury. Jules and Jane from my club were running the marathon, but I didn't think I would be able to keep up with them as I had had a very tiring week and my intended plan to do lots of hills in training hadn't really worked out (code for not trying enough)






We started together, but Jane and Jules gradually disappeared into the distance. It was quite sunny at the start, but by the time we had got to a reasonable height it had clouded over and it was either sunny or cloudy for the rest of the day.



The climb was not as bad as I remembered. Maybe I am more experienced than I was three years ago or maybe I had built it up to be worse than it was. I had forgotten some of the small downhill dips on the way up that provide some relief. There were some fantastic views.







The descent down into Bowderdale I took a bit too quickly and lost my balance. I thought I had recovered, but I hadn't and I landed with my face very close to a rock. No damage though and I took the descent more slowly after that. It feels like the valley goes on and on and round a bend I met up with Jules and Jane who had stopped to get food out of their bags. We ran on passing close to the Kirby Stephen to Tebay road and past an encouraging sign



Then we turned south for a while, this section was quiet country roads and trails. A farmer was taking some cattle down one road and on to the road we were running along. The cattle were behind us and they were moving at some speed. The three of us and another runner ran up that particular incline pretty quickly, but luckily they were guided off into a field !

After 14m we finally got to the first checkpoint at Ravenstonedale. Jane and Jules had pulled ahead a little and they kindly offered to slow down and run with me but I said I was just tired and I didn't think it would make me run any faster. I decided to walk most of the climb out of Ravenstonedale. This was on quiet road and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the first 5m. I knew the last quarter was downhill and I decided to focus on running that section. I got to the top of the pass and there was another lovely view to the south.



The final quarter of the route is my favorite, gentle undulations along a trail but mainly downhill. We had a stream to cross (thanks to SportsSunday for this and the next photo)


and some lovely trails before we reached the second and last checkpoint.



We passed through some lovely bluebell woods



and wild garlic woods



We went through a farm and the farmer who had directed me to my parking place in Sedburgh was sitting out in the sunshine with his family encouraging us on.

We do a bit of a loop round Sedburgh which seemed to go on a bit more than I wanted - I was pleased to finish. Sadly they were no longer serving food when I got in which was disappointing. A time of 6hr 15min which was almost 30min faster than last time, but it was hotter and more muddy three years ago. I was happy with the time after a busy week. The route was superbly signed and the results came out quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment