Saturday 5 March 2011

UltraRACE Grantham Day 1 2011

Day 1
Today it was Cotgrave to Grantham. The route was mainly on the Grantham canal so it was pretty flat. There were some road works on the A46 so the towpath was closed and we were diverted onto a road for about a mile and there were further small stretches of tarmac at the beginning and end.The canal is not navigable for most of its length and there are stretches with no water at all. For the first 12m I was wondering whether I should have chosen road shoes as the surface was hard packed with no mud.
After Harby, 12m, it became grass and some mud for a while. I may have been losing it, but I had the impression that the canal was going uphill but the water in the canal didn't appear to be moving!
I was very pleased to get to the end of the canal which stops when you get to the A1. 5hr 7min and I am very happy with that. We stayed the night in a hotel in Grantham and there was a talk on the Marathon des Sables. There is no way I would do anything like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment